Hip pain affects millions of Americans every year and limits your movement and prevents you from performing simple everyday activities. There are many ways to manage your hip pain. These techniques include chiropractic therapy and stretching exercises. At Michigan Chiropractic Specialists, we offer specialized chiropractic hip pain treatment tailored to meet your medical needs.
Causes of Hip Pain
There are various causes of hip pain, but the most common are deterioration of the hip joint from osteoarthritis and inflammatory conditions, such as bursitis, rheumatoid arthritis, or autoimmune diseases.
Treatment for Hip Pain
Chiropractic is often used to treat hip pain as it takes a holistic approach to treatment. Chiropractic incorporates various healing techniques depending on the unique needs of the patient.
Some hip pain treatment techniques that may be used by your chiropractor include a spinal adjustment to improve posture and alignment. Your chiropractor may also do massage therapy to relieve muscle spasms and relieve pain as well as physical therapy to strengthen weakened muscles and joints.
In addition to these therapies, your chiropractor may also recommend stretches and exercises to perform at home to enhance the results.
Stretches for Hip Pain
Stretching is helpful for overall hip health. Stretches help to relieve tension and lengthen the muscles and tendons around the hip joint to alleviate pain.
Here are some of the most effective stretches for alleviating hip pain. Stretching is an effective way to complement your treatment plan for hip pain. Try these simple stretches each day to relieve your hip pain and move with more ease.
1. The Bridge
The bridge stretch is a great exercise to perform in the morning to keep your hip joint engaged all day. It not only helps to relieve tension but also helps to strengthen weakened connective tissues and muscles in the joint.
- Lie on your back with your arms beside you, your knees bent, and your feet flat on the ground hip-width apart.
- Engage your core, press down through your feet, and raise your buttocks off the ground until your shoulders and knees form a straight line. Be careful not to overextend and arch your back.
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds, then slowly lower your buttocks back to the starting position.
2. Supine Piriformis Stretch
One source of hip pain may be due to tight piriformis muscles that are located deep in the pelvis. Inflammation to this muscle can lead to stiffness and pain, but the supine piriformis stretch is a low-impact exercise that can lengthen and stretch the piriformis.
- Lie on the ground with your knees bent and your feet hip-width apart.
- Bend the knee of the leg that causes you pain and place the foot on the thigh of the opposite leg, linking your hands behind it.
- Keeping your shoulders and head on the floor, use your hands to draw the thigh towards you as far as comfortable.
- Hold for 20 -30 seconds, then slowly lower the crossed leg back to the starting position. Repeat on the opposite side.
3. Lizard Pose
This yoga pose helps to stretch the hip flexors, especially the psoas muscle which connects the lumbar spine to the lower body and is essential for hip flexion.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, bend down, and place your hands beside your feet and slowly walk them forward until you are in a downward facing dog pose.
- Step your right foot forward and place the foot on the outer side of your right hand, then lower your left knee to the ground, and extend your left foot.
- Press further into the stretch and hold for as long as you feel comfortable.
- Raise your left knee, step your right foot back, and repeat the stretch on the opposite side.
4. Child’s Pose
Child’s pose is a calming stretch to finish on and is excellent for relieving tense hips before bed. It stretches the hips, thighs, and lower back.
- Start on your hands and knees in tabletop position.
- Bring your toes together and spread your knees wide.
- Sit back on your heels then move your hands forward until your forehead is on the ground and your arms are straight in front. Hold for 30–60 seconds.
For hip pain treatment in West Bloomfield, MI, Michigan Chiropractic Specialists can help you alleviate your pain with a personalized treatment plan. Our staff, composed of licensed professionals, is skilled in chiropractic techniques designed to improve body health, including hip pain treatment in West Bloomfield, MI.